The Tigers were outplayed in Columbia on December 8th, getting thumped by the 12th ranked Tigers, 68-38. Tennessee State kept it close in the beginning, behind 23-20 at halftime, but the second half was ugly and Missouri pulled away at the end.
Missouri overpowered Tennessee State in rebounding and free throw shooting. Missouri created many more second chance opportunities with a total of 52 rebounds to only 27 by Tennessee State. The Tigers beat the Tigers at the charity stripe, 15 points to two. One area where Tennessee State really struggled was points. The 38 for this game is well below its average of 66.4.
Robert Covington was the leading scorer against the Tigers with 12 points on 27% shooting in 38 minutes. Patrick Miller added a game-leading five assists. The Tigers have fallen to 4-6 but with a lot of basketball left.
The Tigers are coming up on Le Moyne-Owen at home on December 16th.
Tennessee State Game Notes:
- M.J. Rhett has led the team in rebounding in 3 out of 10 games this season.
- TSU set season lows for assists, free throws made, rebounds, and total points.
- The Tigers have lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after having a three-point percentage of 25.0% or worse.
- Tennessee State started 4-6 during the 2011, 2010, and 1997 seasons (since 1996).
- Robert Covington has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 10 games this season.
- Alex Oriakhi recorded the 27th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Laurence Bowers recorded the 10th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- The top two scorers (Laurence Bowers and Alex Oriakhi) accounted for 48.5% of the points.
- Alex Oriakhi recorded a double-double. It was his 3rd this season and 17th of his career.
- Laurence Bowers has led the team in scoring 6 times in 9 games this season.
Check out the complete Games Notes
Tags: Robert Covington
, Patrick Miller